Columbus, OH — MagStor, a recognized leader in tape storage solutions for Media & Entertainment customers, today announced availability of the world’s first Thunderbolt 3 fully integrated portable LTO RAID Unit (LRU) multi-tier storage solution
The LRU is a Thunderbolt RAID and LTO tape archiving solution for digital workflows. Content can be offloaded from cameras to high-speed RAID on-set or at the end of the day, and then the raw footage or completed projects can be archived to LTO tape media for long-term safeguarding. The LRU comes in a portable form factor with a carrying handle, making it ideal for both on-set and post-production environments.
LRU units support up to 6 SATA SSD Drives with hardware-controlled RAID, enabling blazing fast offloading of video from camera cards at up to 2400 MB/s. Configurations are available with LTO-7, LTO-8 and LTO-9 half-height drives, with the LTO-9 version offering 18TB of native cartridge capacity and read/write speeds of up to 300MB/s for seamless archiving of video content.
LRU also supports the Linear Tape File System (LTFS), which mounts the tape drive in the same way as a disk drive, enabling simple drag-and-drop access to the tape cartridge. All LRU configurations ship with a free license for Hedge Canister LTFS archiving software.
“Today’s Digital Imaging Technicians and Content Creators need a high performance, yet easy-to-use storage solution that helps them respect the 3-2-1 principle of protecting video content (3 copies of your data, on 2 different media, with 1 copy off-site)”, said Dmitri Troia, MagStor’s Chief Executive. “The 3-2-1 principle is becoming increasingly widespread in the video production world. Netflix, for example, now requires it of its production partners*. The MagStor LTO RAID Unit is an answer to those requirements, providing an easy way of getting raw footage or completed projects onto LTO media as quickly as possible.”
- MagStor’s patented Thunderbolt-3 to LTO design with SSD RAID*
- Hardware based RAID using a single TB3 interface with previously unattainable ingest speeds to LTO
- Supports up to 6 SATA SSD Drives with RAID levels 0,1,3,5,6,10 (add your own drives, or choose a preconfigured model)
- Dual Core ARM A15 1.6GHz processor with RAID On Chip
- 8GB DDR4-2666 cache memory with ECC protection
- Broad operating support including macOS, Windows, Linux, FreeBSD and VMware
- Ships with Hedge Canister LTFS Software and supports other leading LTFS archiving and backup software applications
- Compatible with NanoPure Media™
- 3 year parts and labor RTD warranty
Pricing and Availability
LTO RAID Units are available now from MagStor’s website and from their network of authorized resellers and distributors. MSRP’s start at $5,399.
* Netflix's Production Best Practices Guide: https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000581207-Production-Assets-Data-Management
* US Patent: 11,200,194